COVID-19 & Blood Donation
Schedule your donation: (800) 280-4102 | www.save3lives.org
Updated 7:42 pm April 3, 2020
Convalescent plasma: be a part of the solution
Convalescent plasma is needed from individuals who have fully recovered from a COVID-19 infection. This plasma will then be used to create treatments for patients currently facing this infection. CBC is preparing to have all necessary processes in place to collect this plasma product to help create treatments for severe COVID-19 infections.
If you are a fully recovered COVID-19 patient and want to join us in being a part of this solution, please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in touch soon.
If you are a public health official, hospital representative, treating physician or other member of the healthcare community, we’d like to hear from you.
Please email your contact information to email@example.com so we can talk about partnering on this important health treatment.
Blood donation is an essential service to the community
Cancer does not stop. Chemotherapy cannot get rescheduled. Emergency surgery still happens. Our community will continue to rely on volunteer blood donors in the coming weeks and months, because there is no substitute.
Blood centers and blood donors are recognized as essential critical infrastructure during the response to COVID-19.
Under the Department of Homeland Security, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has listed blood donors as essential. Their guidance document outlines the importance of blood donation, blood banks and blood donors to public health.
Status of the Blood Supply
We’ve had an overwhelming response from our community in response to the need for blood donors. We are so pleased to report that we currently have a stable blood supply. We are now scheduling blood donation appointments out approximately two weeks so that we continue to have a stable supply in the weeks ahead.
We are grateful to the generous blood donors, community sponsors and media partners who have helped us make this possible.
What’s important right now is that donors who have scheduled an appointment, keep it. Blood donors are considered essential and are necessary for our community. Because there is no substitute, we’re relying on you to ensure our blood supply remains strong.
Donors who are healthy and eligible are encouraged to schedule an appointment out into April. Blood is always needed for transfusions for ongoing medical treatments. Please help us ensure the blood supply stays strong by making and keeping donation appointments.
Safety is the Top Priority
Here’s what we’re doing to ensure the safest donation environment possible:
- Appointments only: Making and keeping blood donation appointments is very important at this time. Scheduling appointments will ensure that we are reinforcing social distancing and able to manage the number of people on site at once.
- Enhanced physical registration process: to protect donor’s physical space and minimize exposure to other donors;
- Additional sanitizing: in addition to the already rigorous cleaning process;
- Hand wash and cough etiquette: is practiced by all staff members;
- Limited staffing: it is our objective to provide as quick a donation process as possible while reinforcing social distancing and the number of people gathered together at any one time. We have appropriately allocated staff to ensure the best and safest donation experience possible at this time.
Announcing “Pop Up Donor Centers”
To help ensure an adequate blood supply is available, and to ensure access to blood donation opportunities, The Community Blood Center is creating “Pop Up Donor Centers” in various communities throughout Northeast Wisconsin.
Upcoming CBC Events
Thank you for your support, in a multitude of ways, as we navigate these unprecedented times. Safety is the top priority for The Community Blood Center. As such, we are focused on ensuring appropriate social distancing and gatherings only necessary for safe blood donation collection.
Therefore, we are postponing the following events until further notice:
- Fox Valley Volunteer Recognition Event
- Fox Valley Coordinator Recognition Event
- Northwoods Recognition Event
Celebrating your commitment to The Community Blood Center is extremely important to us, and we look forward to rescheduling these events in the future.
CBC Press Releases
- The Community Blood Center Will Collect Plasma From Recovered COVID-19 Patients To Help Treat Others (4/6/2020)
- More than 700 Units of Blood Lost in the Last Week: “Pop Up Donor Centers” Being Created in Various Communities (3/17/2020)
- Community Urged to Donate Blood to Ensure Ample Blood Supply Amid Coronavirus Concerns (3/12/2020)
Blood Industry Resources and Communications
- Blood Community Unites to Support COVID-19 Patients (4/6/2020)
- Community Blood Center Mobilize to Assist COVID-19 Patients (4/6/2020)
- “We Need People to Start Turning Out in Force to Give Blood” – FDA Urging People to Donate Blood as Coronavirus Fears Intensify (3/12/2020)
- “One thing we should all consider, especially our Millennials and Gen-Z’s, is donating blood.” – U.S. Surgeon General, March 19, 2020
Blood Donation Advocacy
Blood donors are needed now! Please help us by scheduling an appointment and by sharing this important message with your family and friends.
- Schedule your blood or platelet donation appointment today: (800) 280-4102 or www.save3lives.org.
- Encourage your family and friends to schedule a donation appointment.
Share the message on your social media using these graphics:
- Local Patients Are Relying On You — Facebook | Instagram | Square
- 20 Local Hospitals — Facebook | Instagram | Square
- We Need You to Help — Facebook | Instagram | Square
- 42 Day Shelf Life — Facebook | Instagram | Square
- Patients Still Rely on Transfusions — Facebook | Instagram | Square
- Blood is Needed Now — Facebook | Instagram | Square
- There is No Substitute for Blood — Facebook | Instagram | Square
General Resources: COVID-19
Every 2 seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood. Help us make sure there’s a reliable blood supply available.Donate Now