The Community Blood Center is hiring a Medical Technologist to join our Laboratory Team as a Donor & IRL Testing Technologist!
The Donor & IRL Testing Technologist is responsible for the performance of a variety of laboratory procedures involved in infectious disease testing, component preparation, labeling, and storage. Performs patient immunohematology workups.
Hours: 40 hours per week; Monday – Friday, days, evening and weekend call
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Performs infectious disease testing, NAT, CMV, RPR, HLA, ABO typing, antibody screens and identification, antigen typing, and computer data entry.
- Performs patient immunohematology and platelet crossmatch workups.
- Responsible for properly shipping and handling supplemental/additional test samples.
- Performs required equipment maintenance and QC accurately and on a timely basis.
- Prepares, stores, and labels blood components and reagent donations as necessary.
- Successfully performs proficiency survey samples and competency assessments in a timely manner.
- Takes on-call rotation and associated responsibilities.
- Checks computer data entry, work-lists, and component inventories for accuracy and completeness.
- Responsible for the daily segregation, release, or quarantine of unsuitable products.
- May be responsible for the performance of bacterial inoculation of apheresis platelet samples as required by applicable regulations and SOPs.
- Assists as needed, with the training of new staff or new procedures.
- Maintains a neat, clean work area.
- Appropriately separates and packages biohazard waste.
- Accountable for the economical use of materials and the proper use of equipment while performing duties and responsibilities.
- Complies with all policies and procedures as outlined in the CBC Employee Handbook, CBC SOPs or directives.
- Maintains current level of job-related skills by attending inservices and training sessions and reading publications.
- Attends staff meetings, mandatory CBC inservices, continuing education programs and other meetings as required.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Preferred individual is MT/CLS(ASCP) certified (or equivalent) or eligible.
- Meets CLIA requirements for high complexity testing, 42 CFR 493.1489.
- Previous laboratory testing/immunohematology experience preferred.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication skills.
- Able to follow and perform procedures with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must be skilled in accurate documentation with emphasis on detail.
- High level of assessment skills.
- Must be cordial in dealings with fellow employees and customers.
- Must work with moderate to fluctuating loud noise levels.
- Requires high degree of acute vision, standing, walking, moderate amounts of lifting, carrying and bending.
- Must maintain a neat clean work area, and present a neat and clean appearance, dressing professionally.
- May be exposed to potentially infectious agents, electrical equipment, and needles.
- Employee may occasionally be required to lift objects or materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
The Community Blood Center
4406 W. Spencer St.
Appleton, WI 54914
The Community Blood Center is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer