The Community Blood Center is hiring a Medical Technologist to join our Laboratory Team as a Donor & IRL Testing Technologist!
The Donor & IRL Testing Technologist is responsible for the performance of a variety of laboratory procedures involved in infectious disease testing, component preparation, labeling, and storage. Performs patient immunohematology workups.
Hours: 40 hours per week; Sunday – Thursday 9:00pm – 5:30am
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Performs infectious disease testing, NAT, CMV, RPR, HLA, ABO typing, antibody screens and identification, antigen typing, and computer data entry.
- Performs patient immunohematology and platelet crossmatch workups.
- Responsible for properly shipping and handling supplemental/additional test samples.
- Performs required equipment maintenance and QC accurately and on a timely basis.
- Prepares, stores, and labels blood components and reagent donations as necessary.
- Successfully performs proficiency survey samples and competency assessments in a timely manner.
- Takes on-call rotation and associated responsibilities.
- Checks computer data entry, work-lists, and component inventories for accuracy and completeness.
- Responsible for the daily segregation, release, or quarantine of unsuitable products.
- May be responsible for the performance of bacterial inoculation of apheresis platelet samples as required by applicable regulations and SOPs.
- Assists as needed, with the training of new staff or new procedures.
- Maintains a neat, clean work area.
- Appropriately separates and packages biohazard waste.
- Accountable for the economical use of materials and the proper use of equipment while performing duties and responsibilities.
- Complies with all policies and procedures as outlined in the CBC Employee Handbook, CBC SOPs or directives.
- Maintains current level of job-related skills by attending inservices and training sessions and reading publications.
- Attends staff meetings, mandatory CBC inservices, continuing education programs and other meetings as required.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Preferred individual is MT/CLS(ASCP) certified (or equivalent) or eligible.
- Meets CLIA requirements for high complexity testing, 42 CFR 493.1489.
- Previous laboratory testing/immunohematology experience preferred.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication skills.
- Able to follow and perform procedures with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must be skilled in accurate documentation with emphasis on detain.
- High level of assessment skills.
- Must be cordial in dealings with fellow employees and customers.
- Must work with moderate to fluctuating loud noise levels.
- Requires high degree of acute vision, standing, walking, moderate amounts of lifting, carrying and bending.
- Must maintain a neat clean work area, and present a neat and clean appearance, dressing professionally.
- May be exposed to potentially infectious agents, electrical equipment, and needles.
- Employee may occasionally be required to lift objects or materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
Submit your application to be considered for this position: https://secure.entertimeonline.com/ta/8026.careers?ApplyToJob=335685760
The Community Blood Center
4406 W. Spencer st.
Appleton, WI 54914
The Community Blood Center is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer