Are you interested in a career where you could help save lives every day?
Come work for an organization that gives back – our mission is to: connect lives, share life!
Our organization’s promise and mission is fulfilled through an intricate network of individuals and groups, harnessing their singular focus to assist patients in their time of need. When you join The Community Blood Center, you’re helping to save lives right here in our community.
The Community Blood Center is looking for a Component Technician to join our team.
Hours: Tuesday – Friday, 12:00pm-10:30pm
The Component Technician is responsible for the performance of a variety of laboratory functions involved in the processing, preparation, labeling, storage and distribution of blood components and non-blood components.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepares high quality components in a timely and efficient manner and checks/reviews component logs.
- Labels, stores, ships, filters, and irradiates blood components.
- Prepares recovered components for shipment.
- Performs required equipment maintenance and QC on a timely basis.
- Responsible for performance of product quality control and helps evaluate products that fail QC.
- Practices proper customer service skills for dealing with both internal and external customers.
- May be responsible for delivery of blood to local customers on an as needed emergency backup basis.
- Monitors and evaluates temperature recording devices.
- Verifies component inventories as directed by CBC SOPs.
- Appropriately separates and packages biohazard waste.
- Accurately enters data into the computer system.
- Accountable for the economical use of materials and the proper use of equipment while performing duties and responsibilities.
- Maintains a neat and clean work area, and presents a neat and clean appearance, dressing professionally.
- Complies with all policies and procedures as outlined in the CBC Employee Handbook, CBC SOPs, or directives.
- Maintains current level of job-related skills by attending inservices and training sessions and reading publications.
Job Qualification Requirements:
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required. Must meet the educational requirements of CLIA to perform moderate/high complexity testing.
Experience: Knowledge of medical terminology desirable
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Able to perform procedures and attentive to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good telephone skills
- Skilled in accurate documentation with emphasis on detail
- Skilled in utilizing resource materials accurately
- High level of assessment skills
- Works with moderate to fluctuating loud noise levels.
- Requires high degree of acute vision, standing, walking, moderate amounts of lifting, carrying and bending.
- Exposed to potentially infectious agents, electrical equipment, and needles.
- Must have good telephone and interpersonal skills.
- Employee may occasionally be required to lift objects or materials weighing up to 60 pounds.
The Community Blood Center
4406 W. Spencer St.
Appleton, WI 54914
The Community Blood Center is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer