Here are some tips to ensure you have the best possible donation experience:
Several Days Before Your Donation
- Drink plenty of water (8-10 glasses) in the days leading up to your blood donation.
- Get a good sleep the night before you donate.
- If you are 16 years old, print out this parental permission slip and bring the completed form with you when you come to donate.
The Day You Donate
- Eat hearty, low-fat meals with protein and carbohydrates.
- Avoid caffeine and drink plenty of water (8-10 glasses).
- Wear a short-sleeve shirt, or make sure your sleeves can be easily raised above the elbow.
- Bring a picture ID.
During the Donation
- When you sign in to donate, start drinking a bottle of water. Keep drinking it up to the time of donation.
- Let the Community Blood Center staff know if this is your first time giving blood. Many of our donors have been giving for years, and the staff will take extra care to explain the process if they know this is your first time.
- Let our staff know if you start feeling lightheaded, hot or dizzy.
- If you have any questions, please ask our staff!
For some tips about what to do after you donate, click here!